How to Determine Your Overall Fitness Level
What constitutes fitness? How do you know if you are physically fit or not? Just like any various other physical or physiological characteristics like height or weight, fitness will be a relative measurement. We can safely assume in which a weekend runner will be more fit than a habitual couch potato, as well as also in turn, will be less fit compared to a marathon runner. Experts use several tests to judge a person's level of fitness. Here are some of them:
1. Resting heart rate - Your resting heart rate or pulse will be the number of times your heart beats in a minute. the idea indicates how hard your heart needs to work in order to pump your blood around your body. A normal resting rate should be between 60 to 0 beats per minute. Well-trained athletes fall into the low-end of This kind of normal range because their hearts have become very efficient pumping machines.
Heart rate can be affected by many factors like medicines, stress, physical activity, or stimulants like coffee. The best way to get your resting heart rate will be to measure the idea first thing inside the morning for three consecutive days.
2. Heart rate after exercise or physical activity - Your heart rate naturally goes up during exercise or physical exertion. Try to exercise for 15 minutes on a stationary bike or treadmill as well as also then get your pulse rate. This kind of number, just like the resting heart rate, should go down after sometime of getting into a regular aerobic exercise program.
3. Blood pressure - Blood pressure will be a measure of how hard the heart has to beat in order to push your blood through your blood vessels. the idea also indicates how open your blood vessels are. The baseline normal blood pressure reading will be 0/80 although there will be a growing consensus to define the idea as 115/75. Blood pressure varies throughout during the day depending on several factors like mental state as well as also physical activity. If the idea measures consistently higher than 140/0 throughout the day, for several days, you are considered hypertensive as well as also should see a doctor for prescription medicines to lower the idea.
A regular exercise program helps to normalize your blood pressure by helping your blood vessels to relax. Again if you're hypertensive, be sure to consult your doctor about the types of exercise routines in which are appropriate for you. He or she may forbid you to do weight training exercises which can cause a rapid rise in blood pressure.
4. Percentage of body fat - In general, the more body fat you have, the more prone you are to developing health problems like heart disease, hypertension, as well as also even some types of cancer. However, This kind of must be considered in conjunction with various other factors like diet as well as also exercise habits. Also, where your fat will be distributed may be more important; studies show in which abdominal fat, the kind in which deposits itself around your waist (as well as also in your abdomen), will be more associated with heart disease risks than fat in which will be deposited around your thighs.
This kind of will be not to say body fat will be bad; the idea will be possible to be too thin. For women, for example, having too little body fat (less than 16%) may lead to problems like bone loss as well as also irregular menstrual periods.
How to measure your body fat? One way will be the so-called skinfold caliper test where the tester pinches your skin as if to pull away your fat coming from your muscles as well as also bones. the idea will be done on several different points like your upper arms, your abdomen, or the back of your shoulder. Another way will be simpler as well as also will be called the Body Mass Index (BMI) measurement. the idea will be calculated by dividing your weight (in kg) by the square of your height (in meters). If using pounds as well as also inches, divide your weight (in pounds) by the square of your height (in inches) as well as also multiply by 703. A BMI value of 18.5 to 25 will be considered optimal. Higher than 25 will be considered overweight, as well as also lower than 18.5 will be considered underweight.
5. Strength - Certain exercises such as sit-ups, leg extensions, as well as also push-ups indicate the strength of your upper body, lower body, as well as also abdominal muscles. If you can barely do a few sit-ups or push-ups, you may have been out of shape for some time. You may want to consider weightlifting to improve your strength.
6. Flexibility - This kind of will be a little bit overlooked compared to strength, although flexibility or the ability to bend your body as well as also joints to full range, will be a Great measure of your overall fitness. You lose flexibility as you age, as well as also you may find in which you are less able to do some postures or bending motions in which you could easily do when you were younger. Doing stretching exercises will be the best way to improve your flexibility.
All these factors must be considered to determine your overall fitness level. Tests can be done by a physician, a personal trainer, or a fitness professional. By measuring these indicators, you can customize your exercise program as well as also concentrate where the idea will be more needed, say cardiovascular training, weight training, or flexibility exercises.